Thursday, July 16, 2009

Bleu-Green Potato Salad

I made the most kickass potato salad last night. Fortunately for me, none of the kids like it, so it's mine, all mine! They can have PB&J or tuna for lunch and I will eat a pint of potato salad.

I'm not regressing to my old job here, so you're on your own for quantities. Make it look right and don't forget to taste it! A lot! Add more of whatever until you've got a flavor you like.

Hmm, I think it's easiest to write this recipe in the style of Joy:


Bleu-Green Potato Salad

Boil in heavily salted water until tender when pierced with a fork:

whole, skin-on waxy potatoes such as Red Bliss or Yukon Gold, not russets

Meanwhile, combine in a large bowl:

radishes, sliced or diced small
a shitload of fresh dill, chopped
finely chopped celery, if you're into it
chopped pickles
lots of crumbled blue cheese
bacon bits, if you so desire

When the potatoes are done, drain and then cool them with cold water. Cut them into small-ish cubes and add to the bowl. Add:

sour cream to coat everything well
kosher salt and lots of black pepper

Mix together, taste, and adjust seasoning. Add more dill, salt, and pepper if you like. If the flavor is just a little flat, splash in some

sherry vinegar

or other acid to your taste. Enjoy at room temperature or chilled. Duh, refrigerate leftovers.

2 comments:

  1. Found you! I've been thinking about you ever since I read your famous final scene at the culinary school. And you dropped off the nfiction list, too. Made me worry.

    Then I saw that you recently started following CPR so I decided to look you up. Ain't Google great? Though it did lead me on a goose chase after a namesake of yours, an artist back east somewhere.

    I've been poking around your blog and will try to keep up with your journey as posted here. If I find something I can't resist, I'll ask you to let me reprint it on CPR.
    I would also like to see a formal submission sometime, but I know your hands and mind are full right now.

    Anyway, I love this potato salad recipe. It's so refreshing--a post I'd like to put on CPR with your permission. It's got such an I-don't-give-a-shit freshness about it and it says so much about where you're at right now.

    Think about it.

    And good luck to you and yours, Heidi...

    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I somwhow doubt Joy would have described any quantity as a 'shitload' =) Hope you guys are doing well!

    ReplyDelete