Saturday, July 11, 2009

That Buzzing Sound

At the kitchen table, not fully light out yet. That low-pitched buzzing, sounds like a far-off neighbor's weed-wacker, is a hummingbird feeding three feet from me.

I got up early to work on the computer in complete quiet, and I have to say, I kinda like it. I've never been a morning person, but lately there are just not enough hours in the day and I've decided I'm being too indulgent by sleeping in til 7 or 7:30 every day. Gotta get more stuff done! So this morning when Ty woke us up barking his head off at 5, and I couldn't get back to sleep right away, I rolled out of bed to try it out.

The kittens are wrestling in the mud room beside me. Outside, the chickens are bawking up a storm, the hummingbirds are feasting with that motorboat buzz, the goldfinch is enjoying its breakfast, and it's so warm already that I just now realized the window is open. As soon as I drink a little more coffee I will head up to the garden to pick some grape leaves for Gabe, who needs to pickle them for the food he's doing for the Burning Beast festival tomorrow.

It's been a pretty slow week. I tried (and failed) to catch up on all the laundry. I picked 5 quarts of raspberries Tuesday and made 19 jars of raspberry jam Thursday. Gabe and I went on a date last night, which was great; we ate dinner at Gusto Girls (reasonably good) and then had a drink at the Hardware Store. We're old. We were home by 11.

Time to get moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment